Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Losing my language

That day someone wanted me to translate the term "Killer instinct" into Bengali. I could not. Whatever I came up with, was forced, stilted or off-the-mark. I noted that this is not like translating Artichoke or Stroganoff; Bengalees today understand the concept of killer instinct, have it in plenty and sure enough, use it in their everyday conversations. Then? I blamed it initially on my inadequate knowledge of Bangla, but then I asked around and did not get anything satisfactory. That set me to the task of checking whether there are other such words that are not satisfactorily translatable by at least me, a well-bred Bengalee who grew up on the staple fare of Rabindranath and Bibhutibhushan and Jibanananda and an occasional Kamalkumar or Binoy, and I realized that there was a whole vocabulary of them. In fact, I cannot speak a whole sentence that involves abstract concepts and does not contain English words. I realized that I grew from primarily a Bengali speaker to a bilingual person to primarily an English speaker over time, whenever matters outside the routine things of the daily life are concerned. And so have most of my friends. I feel scared, desperate.

One can be bilingual in two ways. The sentence structure may be English but the concept used is Bengali: We had great adda with telebhaja, or the other way round: Sachin’er dwara test jetano hobe na, kono killer instinct nei. All the conversation that educated Bengalees have in Bengali is of the second kind. And, not only do we use English for words untranslatable in Bangla, we are increasingly substituting English words for Bengali for abstract concepts: or hasi’ta bhishon artificial lage, ekta reasonable daam bolun na dada…Using words like “kritrim” or “juktipurno” here sound artificial, stilted, affected and unreasonable or even archaic.

After the nineteenth century when there was Bengali was developed and polished with an active effort by the Renaissance intellectuals, there was no conscious effort in the twentieth to nurture it and develop it further. I am not disparaging literature or Bengali writing in the twentieth century. While the literary movements in the west indeed influenced us (think of Kallol), what did not happen was development of a Bengali vocabulary that took new words and ideas from the west and translated them. So, outside the arena of literature, all the new concepts that came through English words remained in English – till date we use those concepts in the form of the English word. The reason is simply that the Bengalee intellectual is always English educated, and if he is not writing literature, he does not care to express himself in Bengali. Actually, the foremost Bengalee scientists of this century, Satyen Bose was well aware of this problem and tried to develop a Bengali scientific parlance, but due to the lack of a more broadbased awareness, there never was a concerted effort and words like Draghimangsho and Akshangsho (longitude and latitude) remained confined to textbooks. Or even very common words like “motivation” which came into wide coinage only in the last century have never been translated into Bengali (I am told that in Bangladesh, they use “Preshona” – but you get the picture.) Even if some words were invented and used in writing, they never got unanimous acceptance – so they never came into coinage. Bengali thus remained divided into two distinct flows with less than desirable exchange: one the written language (not necessarily shadhubhasa, but the language of academic writing) and the other, the spoken vernacular. The problem remained two pronged: on the one hand, new ideas were not translated into Bengali words, and on the other, even many ideas that were not new and had Bengali expressions, were expressed in English in the spoken language, and in Bengali only in the written language. Today even simple words like “kritrim” and “juktipurno” are not spoken by the urban Bengalee, these are confined to the written language. And English has permeated the spoken language so much that we have developed our own English words for very homegrown concepts: "smart" and "homely" for example.

So we are left with a moribund written language that is at a loss for words when ideas like "killer instinct" or "survival instinct" have to be expressed and an increasingly distanced urban spoken language, which is evolving for sure, but mostly as a mishmash of Hindi, English and slang. Nothing wrong with that, per se. The urban, spoken language is evolving, absorbing new ideas, and growing organically. But the coins being alien, they are in limited circulation. Since Bengali cannot act as a vehicle of these new concepts, they are not percolating to the vast multitudes uncomfortable with English. As a result, the urban educated milieu is speaking a language that is increasingly different from that of the others, and we end up with a society with increasingly alienated vertical strata with a low level of osmosis of ideas between the strata. We become, as a whole, a poorer society as a result.

Yes, that affects me as a social being. But why do I, as an individual (evidently belonging to the privileged stratum), care?

Because I feel a tug at my roots. Along the process of my education, imperceptibly the coins of my thought started changing – I started thinking in a mixed language. Over time, the mix shifted more and more towards English. With that, the colours of imagination, the shades of feeling, and the metaphors I use to interpret my world – all changed. I feel too far from my home and hearth today. The Boro tip, the lalpar shada sari, the tulsipradeep, the sandhya’r shankh – all that I once used as coins for romance, seem to belong to a world which is still very evocative, but which is no longer mine. I feel like a tourist in that world.

My world of coffee cups and cigarettes is intellectually satisfying – but they still do not evoke poetry in me. I miss writing poetry. I hang between two worlds.

17 Comments:

Blogger tangodiner said...

The Boro tip, the lalpar shada sari, the tulsipradeep, the sandhya’r shankh – all that I once used as coins for romance, seem to belong to a world which is still very evocative, but which is no longer mine. I feel like a tourist in that world.

hmm... I think yif u dig deeper you won't agree with what u wrote here.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Sourav said...

Na re...anek bhebe dekhechhi - ota true .... aj anek door chole esechhi, ogulo niye romanticise orechhi ekkale bhabte lojja lage - and this is where I say that the metophors have changed.

7:42 AM  
Blogger tangodiner said...

"Metaphors" are representations, and language itself is a form of representation.

"Metaphors" changing imply that representations change - but the underlying reality may not change. In what you wrote, I find that your "representations" has changed - and you are a stranger in that "older" world of representations - and I am still not convinced that the reality has changed.

Moreover, there is nothing lojjajonok about it - I almost find this (i.e., lojjajonok, the term in this context) juvenile! We Indians are made of metaphors - the tulsi pradeep, lalpar shari, boro tip and shondhyar shnaakh, alongside tanktops and a refreshinig jog along Lake Michigan, or our much delighful narcissistic coffee-cup conversations, claiming oursleves to be avant-garde thinkers - are all representations - mere metaphors - of a nice evening, well spent.

If lal shidur once represented sex slaves in a king's harem, it is now a representation of my parents' togetherness. As you can see, this is a "reality drift" under the same metaphor. The rest of the gang - tulshi pradeep, sandhya'r shaankh - are all poetic representations of scientific truths, that our forefathers learnt without having to pay a 30,000$ per year tuition at some US school - when most of the West was still killing Neanderthals!

Unfortunately, all these "lojjajonok" things would seem suddenly proper if Wallace Stevens wrote about some of these representations in his "Thirteen Ways of Looking At A Blackbird".

We have to be careful with language (Goti, Wittgenstein once said that the limits of our language are the limits of our knowledge. Just imagine - what if this is true? Cog Sci. research does not support this fully, though..) - because what we creat today will inform history tomorrow. Wars will be fought, laws will be made, and what we write will dynamically represents our reality - both the abstract & the concrete.

A poet's words go deep. And that is why the poet uses metaphors. But first, s/he realizes where metaphors part ways with reality, and where they come together.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Sourav said...

That is precisely what I am worried about - today's me does not agree with yesterday's metaphors, and even feels "lojja" - although, rationally speaking there should not be any, as you have so beautifully expounded in your comment. It is this negative feeling today towards my past metaphors that I find despicable. That is what worries me. That is what I call my fall from poetry.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Sourav said...

However, from the social angle, the loss is starker. As you said, "what we write dynamically represents our reality". This is not a one way process though. What we write (or speak, I think that is more important in this case) shapes the reality too. It is here that a gradual supplanting of Bengali by English to represent concepts (more so in the spoken language) leads to a gentle morphing of the way we understand the world and think about issues. That, translated into stark terms, is an erosion in the body of knowledge that is stored in the Bengali language. It is not just a change in values.

At this point, one has to take a view of the change. I, for one, value all that is there, dormant in my language and do not want to see it eroded. I, for one, do rue the fact that my mother does not know all the fairytales that my grandmother knew and my wife knows even fewer.

Yes, my wife knows other tales that my grandmother did not know. But I really do prefer a world where there is a lot more variety, a world where everyone tells different stories. We have a richer world then. But thats a different story I suppose.

12:10 PM  
Blogger tangodiner said...

That, translated into stark terms, is an erosion in the body of knowledge that is stored in the Bengali language. It is not just a change in values.

Goti, I think you missed my point - I don't believe that this is a change in values - even though it might reflect so. I think you are confusing "thoughts" and "actions".

2:09 PM  
Blogger Sourav said...

My whole point is that a change in language indeed changes the way one thinks - that means changes in values, metaphors and ways of interpretation of any kind of external stimuli.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Priya said...

No Gati, don't think a change in language should change values. Values should be much deeprooted than that...u know what I mean? Bhit-ta shokto howa dorkar. A mere change in language,domicile or even sparse use of a language, can't possibly change your value systems...hate to say this, but then those values must be very khato. And I can proudly say, just because others (read N) consider me a classic example of bongo mayer anglo shontan, trishonkur, I have no less a value system than them. In fact I have much better values than a lot of them. And, most importantly, it does not make me any less a Bangali than any of them.
Boro tip, the lalpar shada sari, the tulsipradeep, the sandhya’r shankh --I definitely did not build my romance around any of these metaphors, but that doesn't make me any less an incurable romantic, nor does it stop me from believing that I look (or at least looked, when I was a few kilos lighter!!) best in a sari.
Hence,have to agree with Tinytim that "the underlying reality may not change" with a change in metaphors.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Urmea said...

Gati, sort of following up on what you wrote.
Amar writing class er jonye home work korte giye bujhte parchhi je I feel alienated from either 'maahaul' I should feel comfortable writing about. You know, the society/surroundings that I 'belonged' to at some time or the other.
The thing though is that there is a third culture (for the lack of a better expression) born of the others that is very much my own. In that space 'laalpar shari' may not be romantic the way it was, but it definitely has meaning to me that I can convey to others because I am both inside and outside now. It is worth thinking about but definitely not worth beating yourself up about.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Priya said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Priya said...

Yes, yes, Urmi..that's the point...a "third" or whichever number culture emerges..basically, what I would call "circumstantial" culture..u kind of adapt to the language, values, culture(if ther exists one)and accordingly express yourself... and that includes the way u conduct yourself and express your thoughts, in writing or otherwise. That's just what you need to do for purely existential purposes, I guess. It has nothing to feel so uprooted about, Gati...you still remember your Thakurmar jhuli , and your Saratchandra, Bankimchandra and Jibonanda alright...albeit subconciuosly, as being part of your root culture.
Don't think you need to go on a tangent on this one, really.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Gamesmaster G9 said...

Baba! Koto aantel public joma hoyechhe! Coffee House Zindabad!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Sourav said...

Ani re....sheshe tui'o antelder dolei jog dili! Et tu...

10:40 AM  
Blogger Saugato Datta said...

hey, interesting post. i remember my grandfather complaining about similar matters, or as he put it, people speaking in 'ingo-bongo'. :-) i remember an example from an article amita malik wrote about meeting rajmata gayatri devi. the latter, fixing up an appointment, told amita: "theek ache tahole, ami tomake eight-thirty-r shomoy hoteler bar-tate meet korbo". quite a classic, na?

2:15 PM  
Blogger nothing said...

eta hoyto thik ekhane bolar moto kotha noy, kintu tobuo: jodi ingraji onnanno bhashar theke shobdo dhar koreo ingraji thakte pare (amar shamprotik lekhar uttore beshirbhag jababdata-i sherokom motamot bakto korechen,) tahole bangla keno "appropriately" jatiyo shobdo nijer ongshibhuto kore nite parena?
Ami okhaneo jemon bolechilam, ekhaneo tai bolchi- jodi amra boli eta ingraji
bhashay shombhob kintu bangal-i shombhob noy, tahole ki amra parokkhe bangla bhashake (ba onnanno bharotiyo bhashake) inraji-r tulonai durbol protiponno korchina? naki amra bolchi je bangla bhashake dushon-mukto rakha proyojon, ekmatro shebhabei take banchiye rakha jabe, othocho ingrejir khetre bolchi je bhasha jodi nijeke bodlate na pare tahole tar khoy oboshshombhabi? eta ki dwicharita noy?
icche korle shompurno banglai kotha bola shombhob, ontopokkhe beshirbhag shomoi. Onek-ei er drishtanto rekhe gechen, ebong ami sunil gangopadhyay moto ponditomonno bhasha-moulobadider kotha bolchi na. Shottojit Ray-o jokhon bangla-i kotha bolten tokhon ingraji shobdo babohar kora opochondo korten, ebong ingraji-te kotha bolar shomoy tnaar bhasha ebong uccharan dui-i thakto nikhnut.
aar "killer instinct" et byapare bolte pari, onek jinisher-i ekti bhasha theke arekti bhashai shorashori bhashantor shombhob noy, jodioy dui bhashas baboharkari-rai shei jinisti (eta kono bostu-o hote pare abar, jemon ekhetre, kono manoshik gun-o hote pare) shomporke wakibohal hote paren. ekhtere, jodi bhashantor kortei hoy, tahole bhabanubad kora jete pare. Jemon, "killer instinct" ke shaphollo spriha bola cholte pare. Oneke kintu " khune manoshikota"-o bole thaken, tobe shekhetre ei shobdo-dwayer akkhorik bangla artho bodle jai.

3:32 AM  
Blogger Apoplexy said...

"lojja lage" eta kintu oneker kachhe opomanjonok hote pare.arka,good point(s).

8:44 AM  
Blogger bengali said...

hi, i'm Russian and i run russian site about bengali language. May i translate this article into russian and place on my site? my email is anuta.83@inbox.ru

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home